Using orphaned packages as NM playground

Hi!

Since I don't only want to ask theoretical questions to my applicants,
I had given them a nonofficial and really broken bogus package (that
was sent to me for sponsoring a long time ago), and asked them to fix
all packaging bugs they could find and make it a really perfect
package.

However, since this is just wasted effort, I would rather want to have
them work on an actually useful thing. It recently sprang into my mind
that it could be a good idea to pick some really poor packaged
orphaned packages and ask the NM to improve one of them.

I think by working on orphaned packages we should not step on
anybody's toes, right?

What do you think about this idea?

Thanks and have a nice day!

Martin