Re: Suggestions of David Nusinow, was: RPSL and DFSG-compliance - choice of venue

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 10:06:39AM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:

> > > I find it appalling that believe you think that some answers to 5a and 6
> > > should not be accepted.  Do you think Debian is some elite club where
> > > only certain opinions should be accepted?
> >
> > Yes. That's the whole point of the NM process. If this were not true
> > then it would be unnecessary.
>
> I thought the point was to find technically competent people to
> contribute to Debian.

No, it's to stop incompetent people from getting into Debian. We
wouldn't need an NM process for the reverse, we'd just accept anybody.

> > The following is an example of an unacceptable opinion for a Debian
> > applicant:
> >
> > > 5a. The GNU Free Documentaion License (FDL) has been heavily
> > > discussed on debian-legal recently. Read
> > > http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.html and
> > > briefly explain how you feel about the including documents licensed
> > > under the FDL in main and what consequences of this position might
> > > be for Debian.
> >
> > Debian should ignore licenses and include everything in main.
>
> That's a poor answer because the applicant clearly doesn't understand
> the issues involved.  Debian of course cannot legally do that.
>
> That said, I fully agree with that opinion.  Dealing with licenses is
> cumbersome, time consuming, and largely a waste of time.  If it were up
> to me, there would be no licenses and copyrights.  Everything would just
> be free.  Does that mean I don't belong in Debian, simply because I have
> little desire to scrutinize licenses?

There's a difference between a vague preference, and an opinion that
we should actually do it. Note that this one also implies the DFSG
should be scrapped.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |