Re: delays in newmaint process

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:10:56 +0200, Thomas Viehmann wrote:

> Brian Nelson wrote:
>> [quoted text muted]
> Yeah. Also, I'd think that trusting upstream is at least as delicate
as
> trusting maintainers. (As for the ID check: I thought that getting a
DD
> signature was indeed supposed to happen before sponsorship for
precisely
> this reason and just wasn't properly enforced.) Working with people
> probably is the best way to build trust.

Where is that stated?  I'd been sponsored and maintained packages in
Debian for 2 years before getting my key signed (and consequently
starting the NM process).  The most difficult part(s) of the process
have been finding someone local to sign my key, and waiting for DAM
approval. :)

If the person being sponsored must have their key signed, that's a huge
hurdle towards maintaining packages.  Also, how would you even check
that this is the case?  Their key isn't in the keyring, and the packages
are signed by the person doing the sponsoring.  I'd imagine it would be
up to the discretion of the person doing the sponsoring, based on how
much they trust the person being sponsored.

--
Andres Salomon <dilinger@voxel.net>