Re: Excessive wait for DAM - something needs to be done

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 10:15:15PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de> writes:
>
> > Hi, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> >
> >> So, it might take people 3 years, but YMMV.
> >
> > The problem is that the last step doesn't have an odometer, nor a gas
> > gauge, thus you don't know your mileage until you arrive.
> >
> > Anyway, [1] states that the DAM does have a backup (joey). Apparently,
> > both haven't been able to do any NM processing for the past six weeks.
> >
> > Might it be possible to replace the single-point-of-failure DAM with a
> > Peer Review system? I.e., some DDs (the existing AMs?) are tasked with
> > checking the AM reports; three(?) YES votes approves the new maintainer,
> > one NO vote (with justification please...) relegates them to the DAM.
>
> Well, no matter what, the DAM would have to create the accounts.
> However, I think the idea is good and probably would help the DAM make
> his decision.

The DAM's role should not be a decision-making one.  We as a project
should put processes in place to make decisions regarding applicants
with a documented, open process. The DAM's role should be limited to
administering accounts - which would require much less in terms of time
commitment and presumably would then be less likely to become
backlogged.

--
ivan@debian.org