Re: Initial Contact

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> I would carefully reconsider whether such a person would make a
> worthwhile developer. DDs must, for all practical purposes, be
> self-motivated, and driven by a desire to do the job well. *Not* for
> recognition. If something that small would cause them to stop trying,
> we're probably better off without them; they won't last six months
> anyway. We do not have a shortage of MIA developers.

I think the key phrase here is "driven by a desire to do the job well".
Why would they desire that?  What would the payoff be?  Satisfaction.

OK, so the applicants should be the sort of people are motiviated by
satisfaction in a job well done.  Does being sat in a process without
feedback for months on end give any satisfaction? (No.)  Does it
detract from future satisfaction? (Yes.)

Conversely, is the NM process doing its job well at the moment?  What
can be done to improve it?  I know it seems like I'm asking all these
nasty questions but I'm trying to tell you how unsatisfying it is to be
sat in the process, unable to do anything directly and being told to
keep quiet about it.  Already, some light has been generated, for me
anyway (there seems to be no consistency in the process with lots of
"luck of the draw"; there's an evaluation step that doesn't appear on
the status page), and hopefully some more useful things have come from it
(eg the idea of making good AM reports available to other AMs).

Finally, do you really think it "something that small" that it takes
almost a year for a hold-free NM process in some cases?  If there was
something wrong with my AM report, why did it not get bounced back to
the AM for elucidation?  Are there problems in the available actions,
is there a staffing shortage, or does it really take that long?

MJR