Re: AM Report for Week Ending 08 Dec 2002

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:45:36PM +1100, Andrew Lau wrote:

 > >  If someone comes out and says "well, there are 1100+ people on
 > >  this project, we don't really need anymore at the moment", that's
 > >  _fine_.  But then someone has to come out and _say_ that.
 >
 > Who do you suggest that person be? Are any there provisionals in the
 > constitution that even allow this?

 I'd expect an RFC to be sent to either debian-devel or debian-newmaint
 stating that fact and I wouldn't expect it to come from any particular
 developer at all.  After that you either have a flamewar or a visible
 agreement among all parts involved in the discussion.  Should it come
 to a flamewar, I'd expect it to devolve into a vote.

 With regard to the constitution, it says:

    2. Decisionmaking bodies and individuals

       Each decision in the Project is made by one or more of the
       following:
        1. The Developers, by way of General Resolution or an election;
        2. The Project Leader;
        3. The Technical Committee and/or its Chairman;
        4. The individual Developer working on a particular task;
        5. Delegates appointed by the Project Leader for specific tasks.
        6. The Project Secretary;

 The Technical Committee is out of the question as well as individual
 developers and the Project Secretary.  The Project Leader can't make
 this kind of decision (5.1.3, 5.1.4).  Wrt to Delegates, the
 constitution explicitly says (8.1.2) that one of their tasks is
 "approving or expelling Developers".  I'd say this sort of thing is
 well within the delegated powers (unless, of course, someone knows of a
 document that enumerates the powers that have been delegated to the NM
 committee).

 Marcelo