Re: recommends approval of "J?rgen H?gg <jorgen.hagg@axis.com>"

The procedure being advocated in this thread (and AFAICT consistent with
the published policy for NM) seems to permit that third parties can verify
that a specified picture is that of a specified person).  This seems at
odds with the thread re/from Karl Hegbloom in December's debian-devel.

Here are two snippets of messages from that thread showing that members
of debian-devel reject verification of photo-IDs by third parties:
-------------
In http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0012/msg01096.html
Thomas Bushnell responded to a message from Karl Hegbloom:
karlheg@bittersweet.member.dsl-only.net (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:
>  ... I've tried to prove my identity by signing a scan
>  of my state ID with the key and placing that in my home directory on
>  people.debian.org.  The few maintainers whom I've met in person can
>  look at that ID scan and verify that the man in the photo is the man
>  they met.  That was an attempt at verifying my identity.

That doesn't prove your identity.  At all!  That's what you don't get.

I could make a key tomorrow, and sign a picture of you with that key.
It doesn't prove that they key is yours.
-------------

Then in http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0012/msg01167.html
Joseph Carter wrote that:
On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 03:44:41PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>  It's difficult for an amature to verify the authenticity of out of
>  state identification.  Even bartenders and police have trouble with
>  that... though the cops can at least, potentially, perform a database
>  query and get other bits of information that lead to a more probably
>  positive ID...  Hmmm.  What a concept.  Hey, Amos Shapirah!  What did
>  I have for lunch the day you bought lunch for us here in Portland?
>  Don't tell it here; ask me to tell you, so you can verify I'm really
>  the man in the photo in people.d.o:~karlheg/.

... THAT PROVES NOTHING!  Absolutely _NOTHING_!  ...

Even if Jorgen Hagg were to have his photo independently identified as him
by some 3rd party, what's the difference between that process and the
process that suggested by Karl Hegbloom but rejected on debian-devel?

Since I now have an NM applicant in _exactly_ the same position (lives in
India) I'd like to understand these distinctions.

Susan Kleinmann