Current delay to registration (Re: RFC: Changing the NM system)

Hi.

In <[🔎] 00122918005900.12369@dune>,  on Fri, 29 Dec 2000 18:00:59 +0100,
 Mariusz Przygodzki <dune@home.pl> wrote:

> On Friday 29 December 2000 16:12, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> > [Sorry for ranting, but I don't think that it was (a few months ago) usual
> > that the account creation took so long. If that is usual, just ignore it
> > and/or flame away :-) ]
>
> If you check section "New Maintaners" (especially the Top 30 of this list -
> the most "fresh") on http://nm.debian.org/nmlist.php you can easy calculate
> the average waiting time for the DAM approval - it is 3.6 days (min=0,
> max=15), the average time of AM processing is 6.7 days (min=0, max=24).

It was longer from May to August, IIRC.  One of my applicant had waited
2 or 3 months until finally he got registered.  After sending 2 or 3 mails
to remind (maybe once per month), I got the reply from the DAM which explains
what is lacking in my "final report" for him.  And after sending those
required stuff, he was registered in a few days.

The DAM is busy, all AMs are here to help his task.  We should keep it
in mind.   Of course, all AMs are just volunteers, as well as the DAM.
So if we don't like this situation, anyone in our team can stop working
at anytime.

I think we AMs should remember the "Coach's Pep Talk" from Dale, our FD.
It started as:

 | OK, it's time to knuckle down and get to work.
 |
 | First: I want to say thank you to all of you for volunteering for this ...
 | potentially mind rotting task ;-)
 |
 | Second: I want to make several things very clear at the outset. I know
 | that this process has been fraught with mistrust and frustration. Some of
 | you in this group are not trusted by others, either here in the group, or
 | somewhere else in the Debian clan. I'm only going to say this once. I
 | could not give as much as a flying-rats-ass for any of these concerns. I
 | simply don't care, and don't want to be bothered with the overhead. My
 | concerns are for how well members are doing their jobs, and for a smooth
 | and effortless operation of this committee. All other "social" issues
 | need to be taken elsewhere, as there is no room, in the actions of this
 | committee, for such behaviors.
 |
 | So please guys, leave your ego at the door, and focus on what you,
 | individually can do to move the process along. Lets all admit from the
 | start that the other guy is as "right" as we are, (in some context or
 | other ;-) and that being right is not the issue, while getting the job
 | done is the entire issue.

This was told when we started to work to build the current NM system.

> But from some reasons there are 40 guys who are waiting for the DAM approval
> more than 30 days. Of, course these are only statistics.

From my point of view, the DAM do their jobs with some intermittent pattern.
Usually once in month, so max "waiting for DAM" days would be basically less
than one month.  But the order of the process may be affected the time of
initial application sending time as well as the final report sending time.
So prediction is difficult.

I presume that the current delay may be affected by the implementation of
the package pool in our ftp archive.  Maybe the delay is just a temporary one.
 (At least, I hope so)

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>