Re: task & skills

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 02:01:24PM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:
> [...]

Hmm. You misunderstanding me a littlebit. I want the same thing like
you, I just don't know how to do it, which way would be the best.

> I think this won't give us any advantage, but instead give us the
> disadvantage of being the distribution with the highest number of
> developes and very low quality still.

Is it better 1000 working developer then 350 working, yeah? We have to
find out how to get them to work. Maybe they should be asked why did
join Debian, and what changed since that. But maybe expelling some lazy
Developers is a good example for the others.

> You forget at this point, that you joined debian, because you decided
> for yourself, that you want to contribute something back to the
> distribution that you are using. You made the decision that you have
> enough time to work on package or do other stuff.

I hope 'you' is not addressed to me.

> People just being active until they have @debian.org-address are
> something that we don't need in our project. So they don't get forced
> to do some work, but reminded of doing the things, that they decided
> to do on their own will.

I must agree with you.

> What reasons? We have db.debian.org with a field to add some comments.
> We have mailing-lists to tell other developers, if you are to busy or if
> you need some help. Just being lazy without sending any mail to any of
> those lists or using db.debian.org to inform other developers. (...)
> So, there are ways to tell other developers why you are currently
> lazy. If you don't use them, I have the feeling, that this people
> should either soon change this behaviour or fully stop there work for
> debian.

You are right, again.

> Have you any idea how frustrating it can be do to QA work, like
> fixing bugs, and then trying to contact the maintainer without
> getting any response? And if you step over their head and do a NMU,
> some of those developers also stat flaming your for doing this. This
> is absolutely no acceptable behaviour and I think we need a solution
> to deal with such cases.

These kind of Developers should be really expelled, if they don't have
some good reason for this.

> Giving out materials like you suggest is absolutely no good idea, since
> when you joined the project, you acknowledge to work for Debian on a
> free basis, without any material reward, just being proud of being a
> part of debian and producing high quality debian software packages that
> will be used by many users. If you need material rewards, to do some
> work for debian, then you have joined the wrong project.

Giving out materials was just an idea, but now I see it was a bad one,
sorry. The cause of my joining to the Debian was not materials, of
course. It was just an idea to get the lazy developers work. It was
really a bad idea, because if they are working for materials that's
wrong too, and they have really joined the bad project. However, I
think non-material rewards are good rewards too.

--
Lenart, Janos
<ocsi@irisz.hu>