AM report for Eric Cain

AM's Final Report for Eric Cain <ecain@phosphor.net>
(by Anthony Fok, December 1, 2000)

Eric Cain has completed the new-maintainer checklist to my
satisfaction.  I recommend that he be accepted as a Debian developer.

        First name: Eric
         Last name: Cain
    Current e-mail: ecain@phosphor.net
    Desired e-mail: ecain@debian.org --> ecain@phosphor.net
    debian-private: ecain@debian.org

1. Initial Contact
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Cain was assigned to me on 2000-09-03.  I accepted the
assignment on 2000-09-07 and sent Eric an initial contact e-mail.
The e-mail was bounced back due to some obscure error with sendmail
on Eric's machine.  Fortunately, he spotted my comment on nm.debian.org
and wrote me back, and Eric replied my questionnaire on 2000-09-10.

2. Idenfication Check
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric provided the following signed public key:

$ gpg --check-sigs ecain
pub  1024D/104B7390 1998-09-06 Eric Cain <ecain@phosphor.net>
sig!       104B7390 1998-09-06  Eric Cain <ecain@phosphor.net>
sig!       5314B680 2000-12-01  Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org>
sub  2048g/54D4A60A 1998-09-06
sig!       104B7390 1998-09-06  Eric Cain <ecain@phosphor.net>

which is just signed by Debian developer Ben Gertzfield.

Identification check passed.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I asked Eric 5 questions: list some free software licenses; name some
non-free software and explain; why there were no KDE1/KDE2; PINE; and
what the Social Contract means to him.  All are answered very well.

  > 5. What does the Debian Social Contract mean to you?  :-)

  The Social Contract is one of the reasons Debian is as good as it is
  today and why I will continue to use it. Debian will always be free and
  open to scrutiny to everyone. Anyone can be a developer or tester. Bugs
  get squashed as soon as they are discovered. IMHO this is far better
  than a mysterious binary patch for an OS from a large corporation that
  fixes (and breaks) who knows what.

Policy and procedures check passed.

4. Tasks and Skills
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric has been using Linux since 1995 and Debian 1996.  He had always
wanted to be a programmer, and was amazed by and attracted to
GNU/Linux.

Eric was part owner of a business for 2 years (1996-1998) where he
practiced System Administration on a daily basis and programming on a
regular basis until the business was sold to a larger corporation. He
now owns his own business, which pays for the computer equipment and
bandwidth.  The services he provides are virtual hosting and
programming (dynamic content and secure transactions o'er the web)
using some or all of C, Perl, or PHP depending on the client's needs.

He would like the opportunity to contribute back and to make Debian
better.  He intends to do so by adopting packages and packaging new ones.
Specifically, he intends to start out by adopting the g2 package from
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu> as listed in the WNPP.

Eric has done some packaging for himself and others' benefit.  I asked
him to show some of his work, and he responded to the challenge with
galeon.

Yes, Eric forgot to check the WNPP and the sponsorship page before he
packaged galeon, which a few other people has voiced their ITP, but
since it is still not in woody, and Eric's package is the latest
version and is ready, maybe we should Eric's package could go straight
into woody?  Let's check with the others first though.  We'll see.

Very well packaged for a first try.  Pristine upstream source,
Build-Depends, no Lintian error, etc.  I didn't actually run it because
I'm still using woody, but I did check his diff and it looked really
good.  I caught a few minor brown-paper-bag or cosmetic bugs, which
were fixed within 24 hours.

For those who are interested, you may find his package at:

	http://isotope.phosphor.net/~ecain/debian/galeon/

Task and Skills check passed.

5. Evaluation and Check-in

I recommend that Eric Cain becomes a Debian developer.

Yours sincerely,

Anthony Fok <foka@debian.org>
Application Manager for Eric Cain

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada