AM report for John Leuner

Summary for John Leuner <jewel@pixie.co.za>

Identity
--------

John sent me a GPG signed, scanned photo of his passport.  I contacted
Dr Andrew Hutchison (who is listed as 'Senior Lecturer' at
http://www.cs.uct.ac.za/~hutch) and he confirmed that the person on the
passport was John.

Philosophy & Procedures
-----------------------

John belives very strongly in freedom of speech and personal liberty.
Free software fits very well in this picture.  He agrees with the
Social Contract and the DFSG and tries to provide an alternative to
commercial software.  He develops 'kissme', a free JVM.  Since StarOffice
depends on the non-free Sun JDK, I asked John if 'kissme' could be used
as a replacement of the Sun JDK.  He said that was the goal but that
there is still much work to do.  I will put John in contact with the
Debian packager of StarOffice.

John also agrees to the DMUP.  Indeed, while reading the document, he
spotted a problem and filed a bug report.  Great!

Tasks & Skills
--------------

John wants to package 'kissme' (and other applications written by him) for
Debian.  I looked at the 'kissme' package.  Some commands in the (Debian)
Makefile produced warning message, but John fixed this.  Also, debian/ was
full with .ex files produced by debhelper -- John knew about this and
deleted those which are not needed by the package, and renamed the rest
to proper names (e.g. manpage.1.ex -> kissme.1).

Recommendation

I recommend that John be accepted as a Debian maintainer.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com