Re: [nm-admin] Identification step in the current scheme (Re: Fe

On 03-Aug-2000 Matthew Vernon wrote:
> Dale Scheetz writes:
>
>  > I just can't understand the reluctance to satisfy this requirement except
>  > that it is viewed by some as being too hard. I cannot, for the life of me,
>
> You've not been reading my emails then. I don't want random people
> having a copy of my passport digitised (worse still, digitised and
> signed my me). I know other people who would be unhappy about
> this. It's not necessary, so ditch it.

AAAAHHH its the copy of the passport idea you do not like.

The actual text from http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-step2 reads

  The prospective applicant must be able to produce two items:

      1.An image file of an appropriate piece of photo-identification.
      2.A digital gpg (or pgp if needed) public key, suitable for inclusion on a
        key-ring.

    The ID image file must be signed using the applicant's key and delivered,
    along with a copy of the applicant's public key to the
    Application Manager assigned by the Front Desk. It is insufficient to sign
    the   mail which includes the photo-ID as a whole. You should
    make sure to sign the ID image file itself.

It does NOT say "Passport" or "Drivers Licence" or anything of that sort.
It simply says "appropriate piece of photo-identification".

It is up to the individual applicant (and the AM)to interpret
what that might be.  (a Costco Club card perhaps?)

How about if Item 1 reads:

  1. An image file of applicant, or of an appropriate piece
     of photo-identification.

The same requirement is made for key-signings.

I would think that having ones key signed, as important as it might be,
is a totally different level of trust than having ones key put in the
Debian keyring.

At least to me, it does not seem to be unreasonable to ask for
some form of id.

IMHO

--
Jim Westveer <jwest@netnw.com>
"Bother," said Pooh as he struggled with sendmail.cf.