Re: [nm-admin] Identification step in the current scheme (Re: Fear the new maintainer process)

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 02:32:01PM +0000, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Mark Brown wrote:
> > > On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 03:06:36PM +0000, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> > about the difficulties of providing "adequate" identification. I find the
> > technical argument (the applicant does not have access to scanners,
> > etc...) to be as weak, because it declares a lack of "connectedness" with
> > the "technological" society they wish to enter. This may sound harsh, but
> > then again, Debian isn't a life-raft where every living, breathing,
>
> It depends on what sort of stuff you do.  Unless you actually want to
> scan in images there's no reason to have a scanner.  Computers, net
> connections - these things we can expect people to have access to.
> Scanners just aren't so generally useful and it's entirely reasonable to
> expect that someone doesn't own one and doesn't know anyone that does.

Connected in the technologial society doesn't imply that you personally
own every piece of technical equipment, but that you live in an
environment where such is available.

I don't own a scanner. I know several friends who do, and under extreeme
circumstances I could go into town and pay a copy service for the use of
their scanner. I don't have to own one to be able to use one.

It comes down to: Can you do "normal" things that may be required by the
task at hand? Scanning a passport seems to be a reasonable skill to
require of incoming members. Isn't it?

Luck,

Dwarf