Re: shouldn't youtube-dl be part of debian-multimedia suite and ffmpeg dash protocol issue/s

Hi,

On 08/07/18 11:41, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> On 08/07/2018, James Cowgill <jcowgill@debian.org> wrote:
>> On 05/07/18 10:03, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>>> I had the good fortune at the time to have both the multimedia
>>> libraries and youtube-dl
>>> at the latest on debian testing. I was able to help the upstream to
>>> look and get the issue fixed.  IIRC the issue was in fact in avformat
>>> which was fixed by upstream after pointing out
>>> the issue repeatedly and reliably.  If need be can share the links of
>>> the discussion involved.
>>
>> Yes that would help. Do you know which version of ffmpeg fixed the issue?
>>

> IIRC, the issue lies still is present with the latest youtube-dl upstream.

Ok. Waiting for upstream would be the best option then.

> I have unpinned all the bugs via
>
> /etc/apt/listbugs$ cat ignore_bugs
> # List of packages or bug numbers to be ignored.
> 852035
> 852671
> 852672
> 852899
> 852909
>
> but there still seems to be something missing as
> I still get the following error message after doing an update  -
>
> $ sudo aptitude install binutils
> No candidate version found for binutils
> Unable to apply some actions, aborting
>
> $ apt-cache policy
[...]
> Pinned packages:
>      binutils -> 2.30.90.20180705-1 with priority -30000
>      binutils -> 2.30-22 with priority -30000

The package is still pinned. I don't know too much about apt-listbugs to
help you here unfortunately (short of hacking the apt-listbugs
preferences.d file).
>>>  Please don't hesitate if somebody wanted somebody to test something,
>>> please let me know what needs to be tested and how. I do see the
>>> libraries are all there in experimental and can install them but dunno
>>> if that will change anything or not.
>>
>> It would be useful to know if the ffmpeg issues you are seeing are fixed
>> in 4.0 or not.
>>

> I did download the new package -
>
> $ sudo aptitude install ffmpeg=7:4.0-3+b1
>   libavcodec58{a} libavdevice58{a} libavfilter7{a} libavformat58{a}
> libavresample4{a} libavutil56{a} libcodec2-0.8{a}
>   libpostproc55{a} libswresample3{a} libswscale5{a}
>   ffmpeg
> 1 packages upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 9,064 kB of archives. After unpacking 22.0 MB will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
>
> and also checked out the version, seems it installed alright. At least
> adequate didn't find
> any simple bugs.

Yes but does it fix the issues you are seeing?

James