shouldn't youtube-dl be part of debian-multimedia suite and ffmpeg dash protocol issue/s

Dear all,

Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list.

First thing first. Kudos to the debian-multimedia maintainers.
We wouldn't have the

Is it feasible to have youtube-dl be part of debian-multimedia suite .
While the application is a downloader of videos from various media
platforms it uses most of the decoders or at least most of the ffmpeg
decoders that is used and I would say are pretty much inter-dependant
on how well the decoders themselves work.

I looked at transitions and saw that there is a ffmpeg transition in
works with all associated libraries.

https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/auto-ffmpeg.html

Can anybody tell/share when they expect the transition to start ?

I am asking as I have been having a hard time downloading live streams
of either the FIFA world cup or even just few hours ago downloading a
live stream of an AGM of a company.

I tried various sources but most of the sources default on the DASH protocol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Adaptive_Streaming_over_HTTP

I remember a similar issue which happened with hls-native about couple
of years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming

I had the good fortune at the time to have both the multimedia
libraries and youtube-dl
at the latest on debian testing. I was able to help the upstream to
look and get the issue fixed.  IIRC the issue was in fact in avformat
which was fixed by upstream after pointing out
the issue repeatedly and reliably.  If need be can share the links of
the discussion involved.

What is happening now at my end is the livestream (which isn't a real
livestream anymore but still uses the dash protocol for the 'best'
and only audio and video resource :( )

For FWIW, I have put up the AGM issue at
https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/16908

but guess it would be a non-starter as haven't got the latest youtube-dl :(

I also took the liberty of downloading the latest upstream tarball of
ffmpeg 4.0.1  and seems to have quite a bit of changes.

Anyways, sorry for the long mail. Hopefully we can get a new
youtube-dl and the new libraries to see if the situation improves.

I would have been also been also open to build local built packages
but due to binutils issues have not been able to do that :(

/etc/apt/preferences.d$ cat apt-listbugs

Explanation: Pinned by apt-listbugs at 2018-03-25 06:42:33 +0530
Explanation:   #852035: binutils: bfd stumbles over duplicated symbols
generated by gold
Explanation:   #852671: libkf5kipi: FTBFS (linking error)
Explanation:   #852672: libqapt: FTBFS (linking error)
Explanation:   #852899: libkf5kipi: FTBFS:
libQt5Gui.so.5.7.1:(*IND*+0x0): multiple definition of `__bss_start'
Explanation:   #852909: libqapt: FTBFS:
libQt5Gui.so.5.7.1:(*IND*+0x0): multiple definition of `__bss_start'
Package: binutils
Pin: version *
Pin-Priority: -30000

 Please don't hesitate if somebody wanted somebody to test something,
please let me know what needs to be tested and how. I do see the
libraries are all there in experimental and can install them but dunno
if that will change anything or not.

Looking forward to responses.

--
          Regards,