Re: shouldn't youtube-dl be part of debian-multimedia suite and ffmpeg dash protocol issue/s

Hi,

On 05/07/18 10:03, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> I looked at transitions and saw that there is a ffmpeg transition in
> works with all associated libraries.
>
> https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/auto-ffmpeg.html
>
> Can anybody tell/share when they expect the transition to start ?

See https://lists.debian.org/debian-multimedia/2018/06/msg00087.html

Unfortunately I won't have a lot of free time to work on the transition
until DebConf. Hopefully I can do some more work on it then :)

[...]
> I had the good fortune at the time to have both the multimedia
> libraries and youtube-dl
> at the latest on debian testing. I was able to help the upstream to
> look and get the issue fixed.  IIRC the issue was in fact in avformat
> which was fixed by upstream after pointing out
> the issue repeatedly and reliably.  If need be can share the links of
> the discussion involved.

Yes that would help. Do you know which version of ffmpeg fixed the issue?

> I also took the liberty of downloading the latest upstream tarball of
> ffmpeg 4.0.1  and seems to have quite a bit of changes.
>
> Anyways, sorry for the long mail. Hopefully we can get a new
> youtube-dl and the new libraries to see if the situation improves.
>
> I would have been also been also open to build local built packages
> but due to binutils issues have not been able to do that :(
>
> /etc/apt/preferences.d$ cat apt-listbugs
>
> Explanation: Pinned by apt-listbugs at 2018-03-25 06:42:33 +0530
> Explanation:   #852035: binutils: bfd stumbles over duplicated symbols
> generated by gold
> Explanation:   #852671: libkf5kipi: FTBFS (linking error)
> Explanation:   #852672: libqapt: FTBFS (linking error)
> Explanation:   #852899: libkf5kipi: FTBFS:
> libQt5Gui.so.5.7.1:(*IND*+0x0): multiple definition of `__bss_start'
> Explanation:   #852909: libqapt: FTBFS:
> libQt5Gui.so.5.7.1:(*IND*+0x0): multiple definition of `__bss_start'
> Package: binutils
> Pin: version *
> Pin-Priority: -30000

Those bugs affect a small minority of packages which use the gold linker
(mostly Qt/KDE). I suggest you just override the pin. Having no working
binutils is probably counter productive.

>  Please don't hesitate if somebody wanted somebody to test something,
> please let me know what needs to be tested and how. I do see the
> libraries are all there in experimental and can install them but dunno
> if that will change anything or not.

It would be useful to know if the ffmpeg issues you are seeing are fixed
in 4.0 or not.

James