Re: reasons for split of libavcodec54 and libavcodec-extra-54, missing codecs and a metapackage.

Quoting Andreas Cadhalpun (2014-11-26 22:53:57)
> On 23.11.2014 20:03, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> If you stumble across a license violation in Debian - be it in
>> experimental, backports, freeze or oldstable - file a very severe
>> bugreport about it.  Yes, so severe that the issue *must* be dealt
>> with, and if by no othere means then by removing the package from
>> Debian.
>>
>> You need not do analysis across the whole distribution - if you find
>> a single violation then report that single violation.  Others might
>> then look at that single violation and consider "hmm, I wonder if
>> there's a pattern to this...".
>>
>> In this thread we are discussing how we can ease avoidance of this
>> kind of violation, but consequence of us not easing it do not mean
>> other package maintainers need not care, but that they have a larger
>> burden caring more manually.
>
> As I understand this particular case, Debian doesn't violate the
> license direc. It would only be violated if a Debian user distributed
> one of the GPL v2 programs using the GPL v3 libavcodec-extra.

From Debian Policy §2.2.1:

> Every package in _main_ must comply with the DFSG (Debian Free
> Software Guidelines).

From Debian Free Software Guidelines §3:

> The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow
> them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the
> original software.

> Therefore I don't consider this problem currently as release-critical.
> That would be different, if libavcodec-extra was the default.

I strongly believe that you are mistaken.  Please do try to elaborate if
you still, based on above, think Debian need not care.

> If you are interested in fixing license issues, feel free to take care
> of removing the non-distributable image tests/lena.pnm [1] from the
> libav source package.

> 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lenna.png#Licensing

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  I am very surprised you do
not want to report that bug yourself.  I will now do that.

Regards,

 - Jonas