Re: reasons for split of libavcodec54 and libavcodec-extra-54, missing codecs and a metapackage.

Quoting Andreas Cadhalpun (2014-11-23 19:42:23)
> On 23.11.2014 03:09, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 6:51 AM, Andreas Cadhalpun
>>> The problem here is that it might seem to affect only few packages,
>>> but nobody has really looked, so we can't know. In particular, it's
>>> hard to verify that none of the libraries (indirectly) linked are
>>> GPL v2 only.
>>
>> It's also hard to verify that a package is free of bugs. We deal with
>> bugs as soon as we become aware of them, and act on them generally on
>> a case-by-case basis. I consider these license issues as serious bugs
>> that definitely should be fixed in a timely manner by their package
>> maintainers, but with very manageable legal risk to Debian.
>
> Do you mean serious bugs as in release-critical for jessie?
> I'm not sure that would be appropriate.

If you stumble across a license violation in Debian - be it in
experimental, backports, freeze or oldstable - file a very severe
bugreport about it.  Yes, so severe that the issue *must* be dealt with,
and if by no othere means then by removing the package from Debian.

You need not do analysis across the whole distribution - if you find a
single violation then report that single violation.  Others might then
look at that single violation and consider "hmm, I wonder if there's a
pattern to this...".

In this thread we are discussing how we can ease avoidance of this kind
of violation, but consequence of us not easing it do not mean other
package maintainers need not care, but that they have a larger burden
caring more manually.

 - Jonas