Re: reasons for split of libavcodec54 and libavcodec-extra-54, missing codecs and a metapackage.

Quoting Andreas Cadhalpun (2014-11-20 17:09:49)
> On 19.11.2014 13:09, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> Possibly we can simplify even further:
>>
>>    * Have package libavcodec-extra-NN provide virtual libavcodec-extra
>>      (i.e. non-versioned name of itself)
>>    * Let GPLv2 packages conflict against libavcodec-extra (i.e. not
>>      replace but complement existing suggests/recommends/depends).
>>
>> How does that sound?
>
> This sounds good, except that the virtual package needs another name,
> because libavcodec-extra is actually a real package [1].

I don't see a problem in conflicting both with virtual provisions of the
package and the real package - as the latter seems to me to provide
nothing beyond pulling in latest of those same virtual provisions.

 - Jonas