Re: reasons for split of libavcodec54 and libavcodec-extra-54, missing codecs and a metapackage.

Am Freitag, den 21.02.2014, 08:45 +0530 schrieb shirish शिरीष:
> Can somebody state for the reasons of a split of libavcodec54 and
> libavcodec-extra-54 ? The only diff. I could see between both of them
> are/were the three decoders which are in the extra-54 which are not in
> libavcodec54.

Could anyone in the team give an estimation about how long we need to
hold up that separation? I mean, are there any sightings in the wild of
packages that link against libavcodec but are GPLv3-incompatible? And,
if yes, how do we prevent them from being installing and run with the
libavcodec-extra package anyway?

Another question (sorry for getting slightly off-topic): Does anyone
remember why we reverted the strict library inter-dependencies for the
libav* packages? Was it because of libavcodec-extra, or because of some
arch:all package, or because of bin-nmus? I don't remember.

Thanks!

- Fabian