Re: reasons for split of libavcodec54 and libavcodec-extra-54, missing codecs and a metapackage.

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 6:41 AM, Fabian Greffrath <fabian@greffrath.com> wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 21.02.2014, 08:45 +0530 schrieb shirish शिरीष:
>> Can somebody state for the reasons of a split of libavcodec54 and
>> libavcodec-extra-54 ? The only diff. I could see between both of them
>> are/were the three decoders which are in the extra-54 which are not in
>> libavcodec54.
>
> Could anyone in the team give an estimation about how long we need to
> hold up that separation? I mean, are there any sightings in the wild of
> packages that link against libavcodec but are GPLv3-incompatible? And,
> if yes, how do we prevent them from being installing and run with the
> libavcodec-extra package anyway?

>From vlc's debian/changelog:

[...]
However, this package is linked to LGPL v3 libraries. So while the source is
GPL v2 or later, this package is GPL v3
[...]

I'm wouldn't be surprised if there would be more applications in a
similar situation.

> Another question (sorry for getting slightly off-topic): Does anyone
> remember why we reverted the strict library inter-dependencies for the
> libav* packages? Was it because of libavcodec-extra, or because of some
> arch:all package, or because of bin-nmus? I don't remember.

Now that both flavors are built from the same source package in both
Debian and Ubuntu, I think we can tighten also the internal shlib
dependencies.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Reinhard