From: nigelverity@hotmail.com
To: debian-multimedia@lists.debian.org
Subject: FLV Problem
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 19:42:03 +0000

Hi

I would welcome suggestions on curing what I believe is probably a "missing codec" problem.

I run Point Linux, which is a Debian (Wheezy) derivative. It comes with some 3rd party drivers and codecs built-in. Out of the box it plays FLV files perfectly, using VLC or Mplayer. However, after installing
a number of multimedia programs including Audacity, OpenShot, Minitube and Handbrake all attempts to play FLV files now fail. With VLC the error message describes the codec as undefined, Mplayer simply does nothing.

All the evidence suggests that a codec has somehow been deleted or corrupted. However, Handbrake is still able to read FLV files and convert them to MP4. Browser-based FLV players, such as Youtube and BBC iPlayer also work fine. I've copied the files to another computer (also running Point Linux) and they run perfectly, so I'm confident there is not a problem with the files themselves.

Are there any libraries or other objects which I should install/reinstall to ensure FLV files can be played by VLC, or maybe some configuration files which need to be edited?

Grateful for any assistance.

Regards

Nige Verity