Re: reasons for split of libavcodec54 and libavcodec-extra-54, missing codecs and a metapackage.

in-line :-

On 2/21/14, Fabian Greffrath <fabian@greffrath.com> wrote:
> Hi shirish,
>
> Am Freitag, den 21.02.2014, 08:45 +0530 schrieb shirish शिरीष:
>> I have tripped on it whenever I'm installing the package on some
>> friend's, acquaintance's system. Can anybody clarify ? I would love to
>> add the reasoning to the wiki page
>> https://wiki.debian.org/MultimediaCodecs . I have already added the
>> bit of conflict between the two packages.
>
> the reason for the split is given in both the package description and
> README.Debian (hint: it's the license):
>
> "Because this package links against libraries that are licensed under
> Apache License 2.0, the resulting binaries are distributed under the
> GPL version 3 or later."

Will add that either today or tomorrow. I do get stuck with this quite
a few times.

>> Are there any codec packages which a user should download ? If you see
>> the wiki, it seems that not a single package is mentioned anywhere for
>> codec package/s.
>
> Libavcodec has built-in support for most codecs. When it relies on
> external libraries to support certain codecs, e.g. libx264, then the
> corresponding packages are automatically installed alongside libavcodec
> through the appropriate package dependencies. So, no, there is no need
> to manually download further codec packages.
>
>> I was looking for a decoder to play a video file which needs On2 vp7
>> decoder. Imagine my surprise to know that both vp6 and vp8 are there,
>> but vp7 is not there. Any ideas anybody ?
>
> Indeed, the vp7 codec still seems to lack decoding support.

On the ffmpeg side there seems to be some movement happening.

http://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2014-February/154080.html

If memory serves right, whatever happens in ffmpeg does get mirrored
by people who are working on libav as well, so at some point once this
starts working, we should have it soonish rather than later.

>> Lastly, is there a possibility of having a metapackage so people could
>> have all of it in one go ? Codecs, video player, the works.
>
> Different people prefer different media players. But if you install e.g.
> the vlc packages, most if not all videos should play out of the box. The
> same goes for the Totem video player which is by default installed on
> Debian desktop installations and comes with a wide range of gstreamer
> plugins, among them one that uses libavcodec.

Thank for the above info, it did help.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल