Re: Debian multimedia blend

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM, rosea.grammostola
<rosea.grammostola@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/22/2013 11:35 PM, rosea.grammostola wrote:

>>> Well, lets see how this evolve. Hopefully users will give us enough
>>> feedback to make them really useful.
>>

>> These packages and subdirs are a good starting point. Linuxaudio is
>> transforming every day, so I think a lot has to change in the different
>> meta-packages.
>>
>> The biggest recent changes imo in linuxaudio is
>>
>> a) release of Ardour3 (with midi support)
>> b) release of Non-Session-Manager (NSM)
>>

>> Point a means that LV2 plugins are more and more important for mixing
>> and using virtual softsynths/instruments.

LV2 plugins are listed in the -audio-plugins package.

>> Point b gives revival to the 'one-task-one-tool-approach' in the audio
>> area. It should be in Debian as soon as possible (new release is coming
>> within a few weeks)
>> http://non.tuxfamily.org/

Lets hope someone packages it. I'm too short on time to do it myself.

>> It might be good to have a 'NON' metapackage with Non-Timeline,
>> Non-Mixer, Non-Sequencer and Non-session-manager.

I don't think so. I think metapackages should relate to tasks, not
suites. That means that each non application should go in the relevant
task rather than create a non metapackage.

>> You want the NSM supported apps in Debian and likely in the
>> metapackages. An NSM metapackage like you've for ladi, might be good
>> too: http://non.tuxfamily.org/wiki/ApplicationsSupportingNsm

I'm not quite sure of the usefulness of the ladi task, to be honest.

>> I think 'audio-plugins' should be 'softsynths or virtual instruments'.
>>
>> Then you've to think about where to put the LV2 and DSSI plugins.
>> Special metapackage or in one of the existing ones (mixing/softsynths)
>> You've LV2 plugins for mixing and LV2 plugins as softsynths/virtual
>> instruments.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. How do you propose to split
the audio-plugins task?

>> I think I would remove the timestretching package, you'll find it in
>> your DAW normally (Ardour/Qtractor).

Yes, it can probably be folded into the audio-plugins task.

> I've edit the tasks, it should be more 'state-of-the-linuxaudio-art' now.
> Use it if you like.

I'll review them and incorporate changes, thanks! Not today, though.

> Note, some packages are not in Debian yet! But I think they're important for
> the future of linuxaudio in Debian:
>
> - Ardour3
> - non-mixer http://non.tuxfamily.org/
> - non-timeline
> - non-session-manager
> - non-sequencer
> - carla http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/KXStudio:Applications:Carla
> - calfbox (free alternative for linuxsampler SFZ sampler,
> http://repo.or.cz/w/calfbox.git)
> - lisaloqt (frontend for calfbox)

Well, they are not in debian because they have not been packaged yet
(except for ardour3 I think). Lets hope we can bring in more
developers to package all these interesting applications!

--

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler