Re: Debian multimedia blend

On 05/22/2013 05:22 PM, Felipe Sateler wrote:
On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Andreas Tille<andreas@an3as.eu>  wrote:
On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 11:12:20PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
Hi Felipe (and others, I guess),

On Montag, 20. Mai 2013, Felipe Sateler wrote:
They are currently in the NEW queue, should reach unstable soon.
The metapackage names are:
[sniped]

cool! I'm too curious how this will turn out! But a new Debian multimedia
blends seems like a great idea! Thanks for your work on this!

+1

Well, lets see how this evolve. Hopefully users will give us enough
feedback to make them really useful.

These packages and subdirs are a good starting point. Linuxaudio is transforming every day, so I think a lot has to change in the different meta-packages.

The biggest recent changes imo in linuxaudio is

a) release of Ardour3 (with midi support)
b) release of Non-Session-Manager (NSM)

Point a means that LV2 plugins are more and more important for mixing and using virtual softsynths/instruments.

Point b gives revival to the 'one-task-one-tool-approach' in the audio area. It should be in Debian as soon as possible (new release is coming within a few weeks)
http://non.tuxfamily.org/

It might be good to have a 'NON' metapackage with Non-Timeline, Non-Mixer, Non-Sequencer and Non-session-manager.

You want the NSM supported apps in Debian and likely in the metapackages. An NSM metapackage like you've for ladi, might be good too: http://non.tuxfamily.org/wiki/ApplicationsSupportingNsm

I think 'audio-plugins' should be 'softsynths or virtual instruments'.

Then you've to think about where to put the LV2 and DSSI plugins. Special metapackage or in one of the existing ones (mixing/softsynths) You've LV2 plugins for mixing and LV2 plugins as softsynths/virtual instruments.

I think I would remove the timestretching package, you'll find it in your DAW normally (Ardour/Qtractor).

Regards,
\r