Re: Ardour 2.

Hi Luke,

(I'm cc-ing the other maintainers of the ardour package and the
debian-multimedia list as well)

|--==> Luke Yelavich writes:

  LY> Hi
  LY> I am a member of the UbuntuStudio team, and helping with ardour 2
  LY> packaging. As previously discussed, upstream would prefer if ardour, and
  LY> ardour2 were separate packages. I have since done this, and have just
  LY> packaged ardour2.0, rc1. If you would like to use my work as a base for
  LY> Debian, you can find the source package here:
  LY> http://www.themuso.id.au/ubuntu/ardour2.

  LY> Looking forward to future collaboration with Debian on this package, and
  LY> from hearing from you soon.

Thanks! I think it's a good base to start on, however I'm thinking to
make a couple of cosmetic changes:

- Drop the ardour2-session-exchange (which consists of only one file)
  and ardour2-doc (very few text files as well) packages and merge them
  with the actual binary packages [0], this makes things simpler.

- Keep the package source name as "ardour" instead of changing it to
  "ardour2", as the upstream tarball is named ardour-X.Y

- Name the binary packages simply "ardour", "ardour-i686" and "ardour-altivec",
  this will keep the possibility of a parallel install of the old ardour-gtk
  package, and at the same time if you type "apt-get install ardour" you
  get ardour 2.0 installed, which is what I intuitively expect to happen.

Ciao,

Free

[0] Note that the ardour manual is currently not included in
ardour-doc, nor in the original upstream tarball. If later on we want
to package it as well, it would be probably better to make a
separate source package, as they do for example with the eximdoc4
package. This give us the possibility to upload the two things
separately, without having to rebuild ardour for X archs just to
incorporate some new additions in the manual, or to upload the whole
manual at every ardour upload.