Re: Jackd hell and other oddities

Hi Daniel,
> Hi Marco,
>
>> 1) A multimedia/desktop oriented kernel like the one in 64Studio or
>> here: ftp://musix.ourproject.org/pub/musix/deb/kernel/n
>
> I believe Musix now uses the 64 Studio kernel packages, so that's one
> less variable ;-) Ubuntu Studio is not going for a Molnar-style RT
> kernel, according to an interview with Cory Kontros I read.
Nice, but I was meaning having it into the official Debian archive, not
in an external repository. I know many people who use Ubuntu kernel on
Debian for its responsiveness and this is a bit "strange".
IMHO Debian should install a desktop friendly kernel if the user chose
during the installation the "Desktop" task. Does it make sense?
>> The
>> reason why this has not been made already it's a secret to me, and a
>> even weirder one.
>
> I believe it's because in the mainstream, audio on GNU/Linux has
> mostly been addressed from the point of view of a so-called
> 'consumer'. So distros have tried to solve questions like "How do I
> make my iPod work out of the box, so I can re-arrange my collection of
> Britney Spears downloads?" rather than "How do I tune my kernel and OS
> for maximum performance when tracking 24 channels over my ADAT
> interface?"
I love Britney, especially after she shaved everywhere... ;-) Poor girl...
> I believe free software has a role to play in providing serious,
> reliable tools to the people that need them, in order to enable and
> enhance their creativity. Among other free software advocates, there
> is an argument that says we need to chase the tail-lights of OS X and
> Windows Vista in providing a slick 'consumer' experience, which has
> very little to do with RT kernels or tools like jackd.
Responsiveness, always IMHO, is exactly the point. I get lots of
question from people saying two things:

1) a default Linux installation is less snappy (responsive) than a fresh
Windows install (in example using the same software like Audacity)

BUT

2) they all see easily that Linux doesn't get slower also if you add
thousands of packages (no defrag needed, as we all know)

and the two things in a way are inexplicable to them.

Short version:

1) Include in Debian a Multimedia/Desktop Kernel
2) Make Jackd usable out of the box or after the installation of a
"normal" package

In any way I want to make clear that my questions/suggestions are based
only on a personal point of view/experience and in no way I have the
rights/merit to contrast your opinions.
Free as in speech...

Regards, Marco