Re: Debian policy on multimedia ?

Hi,

> > > I think if we are making policy here, then setting ALSA as the basic
> > > sound system with JACK used in all cases where applications need to be
> > > able to communicate about audio signals in realtime, is the only sensible
> > > option. This will force everything else to be compatible, which is a Good
> > > Thing (TM). There are very few 'professional' quality audio applications
> > > that don't use these protocols. A/DeMuDi has enforced ALSA/JACK
> > > compatibility for two or three years now.
> >
> > Being a Debian policy, I don't think it's useful to have a policy that
> > excludes most of the classic applications.  OSS is a good standard
> > interface.
>
> I'm not suggesting making Policy that would exclude applications. Which do you
> regard as 'classic'? OK, let's break it down a bit. I shall try to be RFC2119
> compliant. (not to be read as shouting ;)
>
> ALSA MUST be the core sound system. Life would be much simpler if OSS were
> deprecated, but there is a perfectly useable compatibility layer, which is
> available by default. I trust there is little disagreement on these points?

In terms of 'Debian policy', it will go this way:

Debian recommends use of JACK and ALSA for sound output device,
and use them when possible. (Rationale; for application interoperability,
applications within Debian should try to talk the same protocol)

It is still allowed for other applications to use other sound output protocols,
but it should be explained in the Description field of the package.

> > > I also think we should start considering 3d graphics support as a serious
> > > issue. I know this is largely driver-dependent. 3d graphics have some
> > > 'serious' applications in the multimedia realm. If we are looking to the
> > > future this must not be relegated to 'eye-candy for gamers' - it is more
> > > important than that IMO.
> >
> > This is Debian, and we're better off supporting something free. I'm
> > not confident enough with free drivers for 3d graphics cards that they
> > are quite ready.
>
> We MUST ONLY support that which is DFSG free. Which is why I collect Voodoo
> Banshee cards. ;) So agreed, but I still think it's an important issue and
> ought to be mentioned in the Policy document, even if it is only a stub to
> say that free 3d support is lacking unless you use 3dfx based cards.

And another thing is that 3D cards isn't really within the scope of
debian-multimedia, it is addressed by X strike force.  I understand we
don't really have different protocols for 3D.  We just have drivers
for cards with have different implementation levels.

regards,
	junichi
--
dancer@{debian.org,netfort.gr.jp}   Debian Project