Re: Debian policy on multimedia ?

Hi,

> I think if we are making policy here, then setting ALSA as the basic sound
> system with JACK used in all cases where applications need to be able to
> communicate about audio signals in realtime, is the only sensible option.
> This will force everything else to be compatible, which is a Good Thing (TM).
> There are very few 'professional' quality audio applications that don't use
> these protocols. A/DeMuDi has enforced ALSA/JACK compatibility for two or
> three years now.

Being a Debian policy, I don't think it's useful to have a policy that
excludes most of the classic applications.  OSS is a good standard
interface.

> The one thing that would be magic would be to get video apps to send and
> receive JACK transport signals. We would score major points if it were
> possible to sync totem up to Ardour or Rosegarden, particularly if it were
> possible to export the combined output to an ogg-theora file (or whatever).

I'll be careful not to force jack usage upon those which do not need
it, but considering video usually contains audio also, jack transport
protocol might be a viable option.  I'm not quite sure if jack
transport is really adopted by many; the last time I looked it wasn't
too well-supported.

> I also think we should start considering 3d graphics support as a serious
> issue. I know this is largely driver-dependent. 3d graphics have some
> 'serious' applications in the multimedia realm. If we are looking to the
> future this must not be relegated to 'eye-candy for gamers' - it is more
> important than that IMO.

This is Debian, and we're better off supporting something free. I'm
not confident enough with free drivers for 3d graphics cards that they
are quite ready.

regards,
	junichi
--