Re: starting audio applications via a common wrapper?

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 21:00 +0100, Free Ekanayaka wrote:
> I think it's a good idea, at least till a consensus  is reached in the
> Linux Audio community about how to manage the situation.
> If did something quite similar with the ALSA Modular Synth package (ams):
>
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/demudi/ams/trunk/debian/patches/11ams_launch_script.dpatch?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
>
> the wrapper detects if jack is running and changes the actual command
> line accordingly.

That's very much what I thought of doing, instead that I initially
devised writing this wrapper in C and actually trying to connect
to the daemons/drivers using their binary interfaces.

Maybe that would be overkill and simply searching the running
processes like you did would be sufficient  (and much simpler
to do). The only disadvantage I see is when the sound server
is running on a different host, like it would be the case with
ESD or maybe MAS in a XDMCP environment.

Someone suggested we should limit the solution to jack
applications, I think that we should always try to
solve the general problem, it's in the Debian tradition... ;)

Any thoughts on this? Shell/C program?

Regards,

Eduardo