starting audio applications via a common wrapper?

What if we designed a wrapper to start audio applications accordingly?

We have several applications that work with many sound daemons but
are unable to detect them or decide which one to use based on
priorities. hydrogen is one of them.

This wrapper could be called instead of the real application, it would
detect the several output methods available (by trying to connect to
the daemons in the preferred order) and after finding the best choice
it would then exec the real application with the correct command line
option added.

This could be easily done using the alternative system already in debian
to select which applications would be called by the wrapper (using
the good old symbolic link/argv[0] trick).

That could make hydrogen and timidity work out of the box, for instance
and we could extend it to solve other kind of problems while
applications don't do it upstream.

Regards,

Eduardo