Re: [Agnula-Developers] [ demudi-Feature Requests-723 ] Compile Muse 0.6.3 with givertcap support

    gg> On 2 Mar 2004, Jack O'Quin wrote:
    >> I see your point, Guenter.
    >>
    >> It was for similar reasons that I initially focused on the LSM
    >> approach before spending time on the kernel patch.  For a long
    >> time to come that will be the preferred approach, and I want to
    >> make sure it works well.

    gg> Now the big caveat is, that we have to ask the kernel
    gg> maintainer to compile the kernel with security modules, and
    gg> that building modules external to the kernel is not that easy
    gg> with the new kernel build system.  Have to investigate ...

Is module-assistant appropriate for such task?

Free

    >> guenter geiger <geiger@xdv.org> writes:
    >>
    >> > My main concern is, if it is worth the effort. The module
    >> solution for > 2.6 is a lot easier to integrate into
    >> Debian. Very clean, separate > package, only care has to be
    >> taken that it is available for all kernel > flavours.
    >>
    >> AFAIK, the LSM has no CPU dependencies.  But, it has probably
    >> only been tested on x86 so far.
    >>
    >> If there are still Debian platforms that don't run 2.6 or can't
    >> support the SELinux LSM hooks, they will be a problem.
    >>
    >> > Then eventually, everyone just wants to use 2.6 in the very
    >> near future.  > So if there are only small drawbacks in terms
    >> of lowlatency behaviour, I > would prefer the 2.6 solution.
    >>
    >> For those needing turn-key support for realtime multimedia, I
    >> think the 2.6 solution will work fine.  The latency now seems
    >> to be good enough on most machines for most purposes.
    >>
    >> Those wanting to squeeze out an extra millisecond or two still
    >> have the option of building their own kernels.  Today, getting
    >> lowlatency with 2.4 normally requires familiarity with kernel
    >> building and patching.  Even if an additional realtime patch
    >> were provided, it need not be built into the standard Debian
    >> kernel images.  Those who apply low-latency patches already,
    >> could easily apply this patch too, it they want it.  -- joq

    gg> -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to
    gg> debian-multimedia-request@lists.debian.org with a subject of