Re: jack 0.94.0-2

Hello!

>     rj> From  0.94.0-1  to 0.94.0-2 there   are no changes that should
>     rj> affect applications.
>
> Ok, now I see. The next upload of the jack package will contain Debian
> only changes, so no incompatibility is going to be introduce.
>
> Are  these the only kind  of uploads which are  likely to happen until
> the sarge release?

I hope so. AFAICS this version of JACK seems releasable in sarge: if
sarge happens in this year.

> I ask this because I'd like the  differences between Debian and DeMuDi
> package sets to be as few as possible, hopefully nearly anything.

As someone else already pointed out: that would be "hardly anything".
;-]

> AFAIR a separate jack package was introduced  in AGNULA/DeMuDi at some
> point, because we  wanted to have a  more recent jack version than the
> one  officially provided by Debian. I  think  now jack has become more
> stable and usable, and  maybe it's not so  critical anymore to upgrade
> to a new release as soon as possible.

You could have tried with the version(s) that was (were) in experimental
for quite some time: 0.80.0 was uploaded to experimental 06-10-2003.

> Thus, if the jack version is not going to  change for a while, I think
> we can  drop our separate jack package  and adopt the Debian one. This
> would solve the annoying issue of having different builds for the same
> package  version, any  package  can  be  uploaded both   to Debian and
> DeMuDi.
>
> Yes that's correct, and  this a good news.  Anyhow  my intention is to
> shift forward the  unstable snapshot which   DeMuDi is base on  and to
> upstream upgrade most of the applications I've packaged, building them
> against debian's 0.94.0 and uploading the  packages both to Debian and
> DeMuDi.

That seems very reasonable.

	Robert.