Re: jack 0.94.0-2

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Free Ekanayaka wrote:

> Robert, as stated in my  previous post, I'd  like to keep synchronized
> DeMuDi with Debian  with respect to the jack  library. Is there a time
> line  which maintainers  of jack  dependent packages  are  supposed to
> respect when a new  version of the jack   library is uploaded and  all
> such packages need to be rebuilt?

Hmm. For 0.94.0-2 nothing has to be rebuild. It contains only small
fixes. Or am I not understanding you correctly?

For the last upload, the timeline was: as fast as possible ;-]

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> I'd like the conflicts added so that only one version of libjack
> can be installed at the same time.

> And a provides: line so that future version of libjack can
> provides: and conflicts: that virtual package to ensure
> incompatible libjack/jackd combinations aren't installed
> at the same time.

We had a discussion about this but I can't find it anymore.
Guenter and I pointed out, that you can leave applications installed
that do not always use jackd, like hydrogen, pd or others, even during a
libjack transition. They might fail to run in jack mode, though.

So if for example hydrogen is removed from testing during a libjack
transition, it can _not_ stay installed anymore and will be removed by apt,
if all libjacks conflict with each other (or depend on a versioned
jackd, what comes out to be the same).

That would be a regression which can be quite disturbing because users
of testing might wonder, why their packages get deinstalled. Or am I
predicting a wrong behaviour of apt's algorithm here?

Even if we accept the regression, to me it seems more reasonable to let
libjack depend on a versioned jackd; might even allow for finer control.
BTW: How would a "Recomends: jackd (= version)" influence apt's
behaviour WRT removing other packages?

	Robert.