Re: Debian and DeMuDi

Marco,
	first of all thanks for really warm feedback.

> >As far as DeMuDi is concerned we have always tried to be as close
> >as possible to Debian in terms of packaging, respecting the Debian
> >policy and, recently, building our newly packaged applications
> >against sid snapshots [1] via a regular buildd/wanna-build/sbuild
> >environment, so that it should not be too painful to upload
> >everything we did into Debian.
> >

> I think the main issue that we will have to address is licensing and
> copyright problems related to "not so sure if it is legal to distribute"
> software. I think that one of the main advantage of keeping the things
> in the Debian way is that we can be quite sure that if a package is in
> main it will not infrange anything and we can of course contribute to
> the Multi Media section of the tree with relevant softwares, tested and
> configured FOR DEBIAN (sorry for screaming it). Many distributions had
> and are giving away uncertain packages and configured for their own
> environment. Debian lacks a lot in terms of multi media easy setup in
> comparison to very small and still very innovative projects, like
> DyneBolic, Knoppix derived distro (included ours Medialinux) and fedora
> like derivatives. On such distributions it is much more easy for a
> normal user to set up a fully working multi media system.

The choice of having the FSFE as a partner inside the AGNULA
consortium (I recall that DeMuDi is an AGNULA sub-project) was
take with explicit intention of being very neat and picky with
respect to licencing issues. Every package included in the main
section of DeMuDi has been carefully analysed [0], and is
guaranteed to be fully compliant with Debian guidelines.

> >Furthermore from now on DeMuDi should always stick to the Debian
> >version of the JACK library, using the same libjackX.Y.Z-dev package
> >to build packages.
> >

> I will like to address the need for full support of vloopback and his
> splitter to achieve similar virtual patches between video applications
> (also if I know that with video there are many problems involved).

I'm really missing even basical knowledge about video applications
and technology, but I do believe that this list is the right place
to discuss such issues.

> >Most probably DeMuDi will release [2] more often than Debian, and
> >there could be little differences in the system configuration and
> >set up, but we are going to do hardly everything through task
> >packages, which either feed the debconf database with some DeMuDi
> >specific values or use cfengine, as Skolelinux already does.
> >

> I met this summer in Oslo some of the Developers of Skolelinux wich were
> so kind to show me an alumni class filled with terminal computers with
> Skolelinux installed and a practical demonstration of a working
> prototype of the Debian installer wich was really autoconfiguring
> everything (on their machine, at least), without nearly any user input,
> except for password, machine name etc. That is the direction to go:
> fully user friendly environment with the same capacity of deep
> configuring present in Debian. The two things don't go really in the
> same directions but if we want people to use Demudi, or Medialinux, or
> Agnula OR Debian...

Martin told us that Skelelinux is using a beta version of the new
Debian installer, to whose development they heavily contributed.
So my hope is that once the installer is ready any Debian based
distribution could benefit from it.

> >We are now starting to contact other Debian based audio/multimedia
> >projects, as Medialinux [3], and we hope to convey all the
> >existing efforts towards a single direction.
> >

> That's what we will try to do ;-) Strongly.

Sounds really promising ;-)

ciao,

free