Debian and DeMuDi

Hi all,
	I'm new to this list, even though some of the people here
may already know me, as I'm one of the developers of the
AGNULA/DeMuDi distribution [0].

Yesterday Andrea Glorioso, Martin Michlmayr and me met in Florence
and talked about how to "merge" DeMuDi with Debian.

Leaving aside the technical issues for a moment, we all agreed
that we should push towards an integration of all audio related
project based on Debian, and that everything should be ideally
done under the hat of Debian Multimedia.

As far as DeMuDi is concerned we have always tried to be as close
as possible to Debian in terms of packaging, respecting the Debian
policy and, recently, building our newly packaged applications
against sid snapshots [1] via a regular buildd/wanna-build/sbuild
environment, so that it should not be too painful to upload
everything we did into Debian.

Martin suggested us to be even more closed to Debian, and to make
sure that our packages are always aligned with the unstable/testing
environemnt, and, having well written build dependencies, this
should not be to difficult to achieve, as it would be just a
matter of possibly rebuild a package.

Furthermore from now on DeMuDi should always stick to the Debian
version of the JACK library, using the same libjackX.Y.Z-dev package
to build packages.

Most probably DeMuDi will release [2] more often than Debian, and
there could be little differences in the system configuration and
set up, but we are going to do hardly everything through task
packages, which either feed the debconf database with some DeMuDi
specific values or use cfengine, as Skolelinux already does.

We are now starting to contact other Debian based audio/multimedia
projects, as Medialinux [3], and we hope to convey all the
existing efforts towards a single direction.

bye,

free

[0] http://www.agnula.org

[1] currently we are building all the package against sid freezed
    on 15/11/2003 (http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2003/11/15/)

[2] "releasing" here means just burning an ISO using the
    forthcoming  new Debian installer and filling the package pool
    with a set of selected packages

[3] we already planned a meeting with Marco Ghirlanda in the
    beginnig of April