Re: JACK 0.91.1-1

Hello!

[Wed, 14 Jan 2004] guenter geiger wrote:
> Its good news that the API didn't change between 0.80.0 and 0.94.0,
> unfortunately we have 0.75.0 in testing, which is not compatible.
>
> This means that if we update jack and related packages now, we will
> have the same problem that we had with 0.75.0, that is it takes
> about half a year to get them into testing.

I believe it took half a year for 0.75.0 to get in because glibc and stuff
like python blocked it for 4 months.

> If we do not upload a new jack, it is a lot easier to update the
> applications and get them into testing directly.

Yes. Probably. Depends on the personal expectation about the release
date.

We have eleven maintainers of packages that depend on jack.

apt-cache rdepends libjack0.71.2-0 | xargs -n 1 grep-available -F Package -s Maintainer | sort | uniq | cut -d " " -f 2-

Debian-Alsa Psychos <debian-alsa@lists.wedontsleep.org>
Eduardo Marcel Macan <macan@debian.org>
Enrique Robledo Arnuncio <era@debian.org>
Eric Van Buggenhaut <ericvb@debian.org>
Guenter Geiger (Debian/GNU) <geiger@debian.org>
Ivo Timmermans <ivo@debian.org>
Junichi Uekawa <dancer@debian.org>
Mike Furr <mfurr@debian.org>
Ove Kaaven <ovek@arcticnet.no>
Robert Jordens <jordens@debian.org>
Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org>

> The solution would be to somehow automatically recompile everything
> against jack. This is theoretically easy and would most likely be
> successful.
> In practice I don't know, ...

I'm doing it. Let's see.

> Maybe we have to establish a "jack mini NMU policy", which means
> that those packages that are not updated and compiled against the
> new jack within say 10 days are NMU'd.

During the 0-day-NMU phase this was not needed. Failure to satisfy
build-dependencies in unstable is release-critical. We can do regular
NMUs after waiting for lets say a week and then we can do 1-week-delayed
uploads (I hope we can since auric is not shell-accessible). That should
cut down the time to about 3 weeks.

        Robert.

--
"Here's something to think about:  How come you never see a headline like
`Psychic Wins Lottery'?"