Re: JACK 0.98.1 in experimental

Hello!

[Sat, 15 May 2004] Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Robert Jordens <robertjo@phys.ethz.ch> writes:
>
> > I'd like to know where and why "jackd -dalsa" doesn't startup something
> > usefull. We should work on that.
>
> It does, doesn't it?  ("jackd -dalsa -dhw:0")

Guenter said that it "doesn't start reliably for everyone yet".

> > What if we changes the meaning of the -T switch to no only mean "exit if
> > noone is connected" but also "start if someone wants to connect"? That
> > would obsolete JACK_START_SERVER and allow system-wide configuration in
> > /etc/jackdrc.
>
> Not sure exactly what you're proposing.
>
> The -T switch is automatically prepended to any command issued via
> JACK_START_SERVER.  If ~/.jackrc does not exist, /etc/jackd.conf is
> also consulted.
>
> We couldn't use the existence of these files as a signal to do the
> automatic startup because qjackctl automatically writes ~/.jackdrc by
> default on every explicit server startup.  If that had the side-effect
> of triggering automatic server startup, it would confuse some programs
> and many users.

I proposed to let libjack decide from the existance of
the -T switch _in jackdrc_ about whether starting the server or not.

        Robert.

--
The random quantum fluctuations of my brain are historical accidents that
happen to have decided that the concepts of dynamic scoping and lexical