Re: JACK 0.98.1 in experimental

On Sat, 15 May 2004, Robert Jordens wrote:
> Hello!
>
> [Thu, 13 May 2004] guenter geiger wrote:
> > On 13 May 2004, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> > > My feeling is that we should leave this as an obscure feature for
> > > expert users to experiment with at this point.  Eventually, full
> > > support will evolve, but that will take a while.
> >
> > Agreed. Its a really cool and nice feature for the experienced user,
> > it will only work reliably for beginners when jack starts realiably for
> > everyone, which it doesn't yet. With a non working jack the automatic
> > startup would only cause more confusion.
>
> I'd like to know where and why "jackd -dalsa" doesn't startup something
> usefull. We should work on that.

It just doesn't work with some soundcards. I think its a known problem,
.. and its hard to fix.
I don't know if there is a collection of non working cards (or, cards
with some special needs like USB devices), but that would be a good start.
Maybe I am just paranoid, and its only my es1370 card where jack won't
run (ah, yes, and the meastro chip on my girlfriends notebook).

I fear that there is not too much that we can do about that, other than
trying to debug the ALSA drivers.

> What if we changes the meaning of the -T switch to no only mean "exit if
> noone is connected" but also "start if someone wants to connect"? That
> would obsolete JACK_START_SERVER and allow system-wide configuration in
> /etc/jackdrc.

If I understand this correctly, then we would have to change that in the
jack sources. That boils down to the same thing, if we are talking about
changing the JACK sources, then we should do it the right way and
contribute upstream (and take this discussion to jackit-devel :)

Guenter