Some random ideas (was Re: fw: jackd/ audio apps mini policy)

I think that even raises some new ideas.

As the number of debian packages has grown to 5 digit numbers and
most people don't mind burning the entire CD set (at least most
people I know burn/buy the first CD and install the rest from the
network), maybe we should start thinking of different ways to organize
the distribution.

I'd like to see the "debian multimedia task" created (or at least
mentioned in the Debian web pages) to deal with this kind of discussion.
Ideally, I'd love to have all "multimedia" (at least audio, video and
graphics) related packages on a single CD.

I've been away from debian-devel for a while, I don't know if such a
thread was brought forth in the recent past, but maybe we should even
start thinking about the way we group our packages, for me it seems that
we've grown too large for just ordering packages by popularity.

This Debian Multimedia package set could be comprised of custom kernels
for real time, some useful datasets like soundfonts/samples synthesizer
instruments, whatever...

Just some thoughts that have been chasing me on the last few weeks at
least...

--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I