Re: fw: jackd/ audio apps mini policy

Hi, thanks for your explanations,

The way I see it the only solution to have realtime functionality
with JACK is to build a capability and lowlatency patched kernel and set
jackstart suid root via the debconf system.

Setting jackd root does not work, because in that state JACK does not
accept clients started from users.

Anyhow, as JACK is not of too much use without the lowlatency patched
kernel, this is the only option we currently have.

I don't know what is involved in uploading kernel images to debian,
we would have to check that. I am going to try to figure that out,
if we can agree on this policy.

Of course the JACK package should then at least recommend the
multimedia kernel.

For audio apps I think it should be the decision of the application
packagers.

All this will introduce security risks, maybe there is a
way to write a general audio apps starter that gives the required
capabilities (RT sched and memlocking) to the soundapps ?

Guenter