Re: Bringing Mobian closer to Debian

Quoting Arnaud Ferraris (2021-09-09 13:24:52)
> Hi,
>
> Le 09/09/2021 à 06:29, Paul Wise a écrit :
> > On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 4:12 PM Arnaud Ferraris wrote:
> >
> >> Mostly scripts and config files, to give just a few examples:
> >> - systemd config file fragments (journal size, power key
> >>   handling...)
> >
> > systemd journal size is automatically scaled as needed I thought, so
> > configuring it shouldn't be needed, especially on a per-device basis.
>
> Without the default configuration, logs from journald after more than
> a year of daily driving the PinePhone were taking up ~2.6GB (out of
> 16GB total internal storage), so having a time limit on systemd
> journal seems necessary (e.g. shipping in mobile-tweaks-common, no
> need for it to be device-specific).

Journald consumes storage that seems otherwise unused.

I agree that's not always ideal, but if the concern is amount of space
consumed then tune that, and only if length of history collected is the
concern tune that.

If preferred to not store anything at all then an alternative not
involving config changes is to remove /var/log/journal to only log to
memory.

See `man journald.conf` for details.

 - Jonas