Re: Bringing Mobian closer to Debian

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 4:12 PM Arnaud Ferraris wrote:

> Mostly scripts and config files, to give just a few examples:
> - systemd config file fragments (journal size, power key handling...)

systemd journal size is automatically scaled as needed I thought, so
configuring it shouldn't be needed, especially on a per-device basis.

What does the power key handling config do?

> - script + systemd service for configuring a USB gadget (net + serial)
> through configfs

IMO this should be switched over to using the libusbgx/gt
infrastructure, although some work needs to be done on the system
services of gt before that can happen I think.

> - initramfs scripts & hooks

Any examples?

> - device-specific udev rules

These should probably go into udev itself?

> I'm not sure experimental is fundamentally better than a separate Mobian
> repo for those packages

Its closer to Debian at least.

> Well that's part of the problem: some of those firmwares "magically"
> popped on the internet, without anyone being able to tell the license
> and whether they're actually redistributable, so they'll probably stick
> to the mobian repo for a while.
>
> For the OnePlus 6 and Poco F1 we also have binary blobs extracted from
> the devices' vendor partition, I'm not sure the legal implications of
> extracting and distributing those files.

It sounds like these are illegal for both Mobian and Debian to redistribute.

> It's not a single repo, but a gitlab sub-group for device-specific
> packages, such as:
> - https://gitlab.com/mobian1/devices/sunxi64-linux
> - https://gitlab.com/mobian1/devices/firmware-oneplus6
> - https://gitlab.com/mobian1/devices/pinetab-tweaks
> - and so on...

Hmm, I would have put those all into one repo.

> I assume it mostly works on UEFI-based system, but I doubt it'll ever be
> the case on ARM-based machines, unless we make it a device-tree
> property? Maybe Guido has more insight about that point.

UEFI is (becoming) the standard firmware on ARM devices, although of
course many of them aren't following the standards.

> Once this (and some other bits) is sorted out, this might be something I
> could work on, yes. (no promise though, I don't know when I'll have time
> for that

Great, let me know if you need access to libusbgx/gt upstream.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise