Re: Bringing Mobian closer to Debian

Hi,

Le 09/09/2021 à 06:29, Paul Wise a écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 4:12 PM Arnaud Ferraris wrote:
>
>> Mostly scripts and config files, to give just a few examples:
>> - systemd config file fragments (journal size, power key handling...)
>
> systemd journal size is automatically scaled as needed I thought, so
> configuring it shouldn't be needed, especially on a per-device basis.

Without the default configuration, logs from journald after more than a
year of daily driving the PinePhone were taking up ~2.6GB (out of 16GB
total internal storage), so having a time limit on systemd journal seems
necessary (e.g. shipping in mobile-tweaks-common, no need for it to be
device-specific).

> What does the power key handling config do?

It makes systemd ignore the power key, otherwise a simple press on it
would make it power down the system (especially important when running
the on-device installer).

>> - script + systemd service for configuring a USB gadget (net + serial)
>> through configfs
>
> IMO this should be switched over to using the libusbgx/gt
> infrastructure, although some work needs to be done on the system
> services of gt before that can happen I think.

I agree, libusbgx/gt is a better solution for the (not so) long term,
but there's still work needed before we can switch to it. I'm reasonably
confident this can be done during the current (bookworm) development
cycle, though.

>> - initramfs scripts & hooks
>
> Any examples?
>
>> - device-specific udev rules
>
> These should probably go into udev itself?

That's a good point, we'll have to look into what's feasible in this regard.

>> Well that's part of the problem: some of those firmwares "magically"
>> popped on the internet, without anyone being able to tell the license
>> and whether they're actually redistributable, so they'll probably stick
>> to the mobian repo for a while.
>>
>> For the OnePlus 6 and Poco F1 we also have binary blobs extracted from
>> the devices' vendor partition, I'm not sure the legal implications of
>> extracting and distributing those files.
>
> It sounds like these are illegal for both Mobian and Debian to redistribute.

This needs further evaluation but it might be illegal indeed, which is
why I won't be pushing to get those into Debian (at least until we make
sure it's legal, or find a way to extract those in a legally compliant way).

> Great, let me know if you need access to libusbgx/gt upstream.

I already have access, you added me to the github org a while ago IIRC ;)

Cheers,
Arnaud