Re: Bringing Mobian closer to Debian

Hello everyone,

My apologies for not replying earlier, next time I'll make sure I don't
start an important conversation right before going on holiday ;)

Le 14/08/2021 à 23:10, Federico Ceratto a écrit :
> Users will probably install non-free packages like kernel and drivers by
> running a Debian
> installer or flashing the SD card directly rather than doing apt install
> on a running
> system. Also, task packages like task-laptop tend to ignore non-free
> packages.
> Therefore, maybe there is no need for "mobian*tweaks" packages to depend on
> non-free packages.

Some of what we do with the tweaks packages could indeed be done
differently, by dropping those directly into the images at build time,
so we could reduce the amount of things we package. We have to make sure
those bits wouldn't need to be updated, though.

> Having tiny packages for every supported platform could be a bit too
> granular. (right now
> my phone has 7 mobian-* + *-tweaks packages installed)
> As an alternative the mobian-tweaks package could detect the underlying
> device and
> configure the required files. With the added benefit of being able to
> ask questions to the
> user or run configuration commands.

That's also an interesting idea, it might be tricky to implement but
definitely worth thinking more about it.

Cheers,
Arnaud