Re: Bringing Mobian closer to Debian

Hi Guido,

Le 15/08/2021 à 17:10, Guido Günther a écrit :
>> 2. kernel and bootloader packages including out-of-tree patches
>
> These sound tricky to carry in Debian especially due to kernel security support.

Agreed, I believe these should stay in Mobian until everything gets
upstreamed (which is why we would be forced to put at least the
metapackages in contrib for the time being).

>> 3. non-free binary firmwares
>
> I hope we can upload these to non-free. Depending on the driver status
> we can even fold them into firmare-linux-{non,}free upstream.

As I wrote in my answer to Paul, I'm not sure this is feasible due to a
lack of legal information on that matter. Still something to
investigate, though.

>> 4. Mobian base metapackages (meta-mobian) and customizations
>>    (mobian-tweaks) [4]
>
> I can imagine a meta package for mobian that pulls in "all you need" for
> a specific device but the reset could live in mobile-tweaks…

That's the current role of `<device>-support` (metapackage) and
`mobian-<device>-tweaks`, so you're suggesting we keep the
`<device>-support` packages and merge all `mobian-*-tweaks` into
`mobile-tweaks`, am I understanding right?

>> 5. device-specific metapackages ($device-support) and customizations
>>    (mobian-$device-tweaks) [5]
>
> …that's basically why we came up with mobile-tweaks-common and
> <device>-tweaks. Could you imagine anything that woukdn't fit either
> into this package or into the corresponding upstream repo (like e.g. ucm
> profiles)?

It all depends on our policy for `mobile-tweaks`: for example, we agreed
not to ship the ModemManager polkit customizations as part of
`mobile-tweaks`, so we (Mobian) have to carry it in some `mobian-tweaks`
package for now.

> Looking at that bug and the examples mentioned there these are mostly
> things where we don't have a solution in place in Debian e.g. MM polkit
> rule. I think we should push towards solving this within Debian wherever
> possible and then see what's left after a couple of months. First step
> could be filing the bugs and using a user tag so we can keep an
> overview. Should we try that?

That makes sense, yes.

Maybe I could start by creating MRs on mobile-tweaks for importing our
device-specific tweaks, so we can more easily identify and discuss the
problematic bits on a case-by-case basis? We'll see how it goes from
there, that might give us a few leads regarding future actions.

Cheers,
Arnaud