Re: Some index files failed to download

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 23:22:34 +0300, Pavlos K. Ponos wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Having done a clear installation from Jessie to Stretch, when trying to
> "sudo apt-get update" I got the following error message:
>
> W: The repository 'http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/updates Release'
> does not have a Release file.
> N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore
> potentially dangerous to use.
> N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration
> details.
> E: Failed to fetch
> http://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/updates/main/binary-amd64/Packages
> 404  Not Found [IP: 2a04:4e42:1b::204 80]
> E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones
> used instead.
>
> I've tried to find a workaround in web, unfortunately with no luck.
>
> Any ideas please?

It looks like your system is misconfigured.  The "stretch/updates"
distribution is part of the debian security archive at
http://deb.debian.org/debian-security, not the main archive at
http://deb.debian.org/debian.  You might want to double check your
/etc/apt/sources.list (and/or /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list).

Cheers,
Julien