Re: introducing http.debian.net

On 01-29 23:50, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been working on a project that provides an alternative to cdn.d.n. It
> is based on http redirections.
> An introduction can be found on the site itself[1], and a comparison to
> cdn.d.n at [2].
>
> I now have setup a test instance in a host in Canada to allow people to
> actually test and use the system. This host is http.debian.net.
>
> So, please try it and provide feedback. There's not a lot of documentation
> as of yet, but I plan to do my best to answer any question.
>
> To get an idea about what it is doing behind the scenes you can take a look
> at the headers sent back by the server. It currently sends them on GET and
> HEAD requests, but I plan to disable them for the former.
>
> If you are getting results that you think can be improved, please do tell
> me.
>
> Some mirrors are disabled either because they are out of date, they don't
> have a trace file matching their host name, or because they use an old
> ftpsync version. If your mirror matches any of those cases, I would like to
> encourage you to fix it, and to fix it by using the ftpsync scripts.
> Thank you.
>
> [1]http://http.debian.net/
> [2]http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/03/msg00788.html

Good idea,

I tested http.debian.net/debian/ and it it redirected me to
http://ftp.vectranet.pl/debian/, essentially correctly and almost
optimally. Same for debian-cd, to same mirror. Nice.

~# host -t AAAA http.debian.net
http.debian.net is an alias for atomo64.puffinhost.com.
~#

:(

IPv6 will be usefull here. IPv6 and IPv4 are not always on the same AS,
for example in case of IPv6-only clients or teredo, and other tunnels. :(

You can also add http4 and http6 and http46 to DNS, to force connection
using specific protocol.

One of the other improements is to provide support for partial mirrors
(only some architectures mirrored using ARCH_EXCLUDE option in ftpsync
script), a redirector will know which archs which mirror have, and if
narest mirror doesn't contain needed arch, it will use next one if
possible as fallback, etc.

I have also samohow private mirror (with about 6 archs), but is
available public over IPv6. I would be happy to add it to redirector
database, so clients which are really close will use, it, but still do
not know if I want to put it on official Debian's mirror list (because
it is not full mirror, and it isn't very fast). Any ideas about it?

Regards,
Witek

--
Witold Baryluk