Re: introducing http.debian.net

Hi,

On Saturday 03 March 2012 08:43:56 Witold Baryluk wrote:
> I tested http.debian.net/debian/ and it it redirected me to
> http://ftp.vectranet.pl/debian/, essentially correctly and almost
> optimally. Same for debian-cd, to same mirror. Nice.

Good to hear.

> ~# host -t AAAA http.debian.net
> http.debian.net is an alias for atomo64.puffinhost.com.
> ~#
>
> :(
>
> IPv6 will be usefull here. IPv6 and IPv4 are not always on the same AS,
> for example in case of IPv6-only clients or teredo, and other tunnels. :(
>
> You can also add http4 and http6 and http46 to DNS, to force connection
> using specific protocol.

The server doesn't have IPv6 connectivity at all.

> One of the other improements is to provide support for partial mirrors
> (only some architectures mirrored using ARCH_EXCLUDE option in ftpsync
> script), a redirector will know which archs which mirror have, and if
> narest mirror doesn't contain needed arch, it will use next one if
> possible as fallback, etc.

It does already take into consideration the architecture of the requested
file.

> I have also samohow private mirror (with about 6 archs), but is
> available public over IPv6. I would be happy to add it to redirector
> database, so clients which are really close will use, it, but still do
> not know if I want to put it on official Debian's mirror list (because
> it is not full mirror, and it isn't very fast). Any ideas about it?

The redirector only uses the mirrors found in the master list. Even if your
mirror only has a few architectures it can be listed.
In this case, the mirror would still not be used by the redirector since, as
you say, it is IPv6 only. At least not until the redirector's host has IPv6
connectivity.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer