Re: Debian 4.0r4(a) DVD Images

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 11:13:17AM -0500, Bumpy Light wrote:
>   How is it possible to obtain on DVD the hidden 4.0r4(a) update to Debian
>   4.0r4?
>
>   Is it as simple as obtaining the image
>   debian-update-4.0r4-i386-DVD-1.iso, even though
> the text files on debian-update-4.0r4-i386-DVD-1.iso seem to refer only to
> 4.0r4?
>
>     debian-40r4-i386-DVD-1.iso
>     debian-40r4-i386-DVD-2.iso
>     debian-40r4-i386-DVD-3.iso
>     debian-update-4.0r4-i386-DVD-1.iso
>
>   Is it accurate to assume that the first three are for 4.0r4, and the
>   fourth is for the
> hidden update 4.0r4(a)? The fourth diskette has more than two gigabytes.
> Was this change
> from 4.0r4 to 4.0r4(a) really so extensive, assuming that it *is* a change
> from 4.0r4 to
> 4.0r4(a)?
>
>   It's annoying to find it so difficult to obtain an answer to such a
>   simple question.
> I'd rather not waste a burnable DVD on debian-update-4.0r4-i386-DVD-1.iso
> if there's a
> different DVD image that must be obtained from an obscure URL.
>
>   Put another way, there is an unresolved ambiguity over whether the update
>   DVD is only
> for those who wish to update their older (pre-4.0r4) DVD set to 4.0r4, or
> whether there
> is a hidden update within the above update DVD to not merely 4.0r4, but to
> 4.0r4(a).

No, IIRC, the little "a" only signifies that there was some minor update
in the production of the images, there should be no actual change.

Also, the debian-update-* image refers to the differences between the
initial release (point release 0) and the current point release (4),
I think. It should be documented somewhere...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.